Friday, September 7, 2012

Wheel Alignment Continued - 12mm of Toe Out @_@

After realizing I have 5mm on toe on the rears my missions is to zero it. Being a torsion beam this isn't easy.
I have been making tapered shims where i rotate them slightly to increase/reduce toe.
I made two sets.
One shim created a 16mm shift in toe haha @_@ my maths was wrong on that one.
But the other shim created a 2mm change.
My goal is to slightly increase the 2mm one. Which i home will give approx 1-1.5 degree in negative camber and 0-4mm of toe change.

My other design is based on a 2 degree shim.

I have to go through all my notes and math again. I believe my errors are due to the way the machine calculates toe. I work out the toe angle based on mm toe. Then from the toe angle work out the shims.
Something is a little wrong.

Previous alignment >>>
Basically:
                     # Camber Before # Camber After # Toe Before # Toe After
Rear Left   -  #       -3.1           #          -2.9      #      0.6mm   #   -1.3mm
Rear Right -  #       -2.9           #          -2.5      #      4.5mm   #   -11.9mm

Rear left total change in toe is 1.9mm; Rear right total change in toe is 16.4mm
The two degree shim looses less camber when changing toe.

Note: negative toe mean that it is toe out.
Steering wheel straightness is affected by rear toe. Due to my inherent toe the steering wheel is more like in the 1oclock position.

The left wheel was using my slotted style of shim which allows a finer change in toe.
The right wheel is using a thicker shim with larger changes.
The camber angle reduces because as i rotate the shim to increase/decrease toe i lower camber.

Anyways...here is the currently alignment


No comments:

Post a Comment