Monday, November 4, 2013

My Final Version of the RColt Shifter Linkage Upgrade - Solid Rose Joint

So I have been through a couple different versions of the shifter linkages.












My first upgrade was to a solid urethane insert when the old rubber one broke when removing the gearbox from the car > /solid-shifter-linkage-and-custom.html
This was the broken linkage /gearbox-drop-part-7-broken-gear-linkage.html

Surprisingly this lasted a couple years. I believe I added some WD40 to the bushing a few months back, that when it first popped off while driving. I am wondering if the WD40 ruined the insert I had.



So instead of fixing it, I just made a bracket to hold the linkage on and stop it popping off.
This worked a treat /z27ag-shifter-linkage-repair-bracket.html
A Jap forum goer has the exact same idea as I did /semi-solid-shifter-linkage-from-minkara.html just executed a little differently.

Now is my final version using a rose joint / rod end bearing or whateva you wanna call it.

< after removing the whole assembly from the car, it all went crazy






So I cut the old one off with an angle grinder, then i needed to thread an M6x1mm rose joint.
Out came my die to cut the thread.
Metal was fairly soft, so it wasn't too hard.





< M6 die











Angle grinded the ball stud off the gearbox
I had a high tensile M6 Bolt that would be the new attachment for the linkage.

< That little coil, is some wire i belt up, as the original ball stud was a little bigger than my new bolt, the wire will stop it moving


Large flat washer on either side of the bolt, I was tempted to put a bit of weld on it, but it seem tight enough.
















The nylon nuts are M6, i drilled the threads out of it, i wanted something soft to surround the rose joint. Then i used a normal M6 nut to get it in the right position, then i added a cone lock nut to stop it coming loose.

No comments:

Post a Comment