Thursday, November 6, 2014

Revised Urethane OEM Engine Roll Stopper Conversion - RColt




Been through a couple engine roll stoppers. Always playing with ideas. Had a fellow RColter make a unit with push in urethane bushes.
Had to recoil the ally mounts due to galling /08/recoil-engine-brace-mount-z27ag.html





I split the gearbox bell housing at the drags /gameover-virgin-drags-14991s.html
I'd say it was a combo of wheel hop / axle hop / bunny hop plus the solid mount http://www.mc2racing.com/






I shouldn't have run my track setup at the drags. Had about 3.5degrees of camber on the front and some Toyo R1R, they didn't want to spin.
Anyways. I used steel washers on the original engine brace.  This time I have made urethane washers to absorb some of the movements + drilled out the solid urethane mount.






So the bush i got punched out with an ID of 23mm & 45mm OD.
The ID shrunk when it got punched out to 19mm, so I had to machine it out







I also had to make it thinner because the sheet of urethane was only 6mm, I needed it to about 4.5mm









Drilled out the mount to make it less harsh.






2 comments:

  1. where does this sit in comparison to commercially available roll stoppers? similar? harder?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. should be tougher as there is more material surrounding the crush tube, but it is heavier than commercial ones as the urethane mount is a lot larger
      might look into an alloy one.
      however this one uses the original rear crush tube that would give more clamping surface within the steering rack, which i hope stops twist unlike other options that use a m14 crush tube.
      i could do some tests to compare, if i had one

      Delete