Friday, December 27, 2013

Aerocatch - How to install on a Carbon Fiber Hood - Z27AG RColt


In relation to /oil-cooler-install-for-rcolt-z27ag-how

Part of the oil cooler installation was the Aerocatch, I always wanted to remove the bonnet latch to install the oil cooler. Hence the need for Aerocatch. Pretty much the norm you see everywhere. I needed something lockable as it is sometimes road driven as a daily.


It is an incredible amount of work for something so simple
I estimated 10hrs total, mucking around with ideas and 5hours once I had worked it out.

Use blue tack to mark where the bonnet pin touched.









Drilled a pilot hole and worked on the alignment of the catch. Where i wanted it sitting and how etc. Angles etc
Finally came up with a location.
The bonnet has a lot of curves hence I wanted it as flat as possible.

















I used plastic cutting wheels and the sanding attachment to clean up the plastic cuts.

The rear has a backing plate, hence you have to cut a lot of the rear out.









Dust was everywhere.








I had my track day and the hood survived.









All six drill holes lines up except 1, i had to enlarge it slightly




New trying to replicate what I did on one side to the opposite. I was measuring from the edge of the bonnet
Trying to keep the same distance for the edge and in turn create the same angle.





So that the bonnet pin didn't come close to the edge of the bonnet, i made some 3mm aluminum brackets.
I used M12 bolts to bolt them to the chassis where the original bonnet rubbers were


























































This was my version 1 shims, i changed design, the thin metal flexed too much.





























































No comments:

Post a Comment