Monday, June 25, 2012

Audi A3 Brake and Rotor Service



hardest brake job to date for me. Fronts were normal, rattle gun took them off easy enough.
The annoying bit was trying to get the piston back and then push the pad into place. It has some weird tension clip around the floating caliper.
The passenger side had a temp sensor or wear sensor. No idea. Audi over engineered the car with an abundance for useless sensors.









Rears were really annoying. 12 sided star to remove the caliper. Really difficult position to get leverage.
Use a 13mm and 15mm to remove the floating caliper.
11mm to remove the brake nipple. One caliper retracted easy. The other however did not @@ Cracked the bleed nipple open but it still didn't budge.


Pad Clip >>> I bent it back so it was easier to press into the front pot

I used an air ratchet. I had to keep turning it clockwise n anti clock wise to get it to retract.
I fully extended it out to try and reseat.
I had a universal tool to screw back the pot. Funny enough it didn't fit an Audi. Out came a grinder to modify it.








Why is life so hard.
Rear rotor was siezed. No surprise there. CRC and a rubber mallet to bash it off.
The master over flowed. It must have been topped up while the pads were running low
I can usually do my colt brakes in a couple hours. This took double that. Should be quicker next time though.

27mm hub bolt.
security screw needed to remove the rotor.



No comments:

Post a Comment