Tuesday, January 27, 2015

RColt 4pots - UCF30 Rebuild, Running Gear, Weight Comparison




When looking for brakes I came across this UCF30 - a monoblock lightweight 4pot calliper used on the old V8 Lexus.
A very similar design is re-sold by TRD for the old JZ cars.






Not much info was online, so I started looking for details in 2012:
/ls400ucf20-or-ls430ucf30-front-brake.html
I later found the calliper is used on other cars as an upgrade e.g. Porsche







Japs had made a dog bone to suit the GTO rotor, which is impossible to find, so I decided to make it suit the bigger and more readily available EVO rotor. 320mm vs 310mm (plus another mm thicker).






Then I had to locate a pair, couldn't find any local so I got some from USA:
/calipers-arrived-ucf30ls430-sumitomo.html
In the mean time I was having good success with the EVO callipers. So I was in no rush.






Then it was time for a rebuild, I had to visit Lexus to get the kit.
/monoblock-rebuild-kit-04479-50130-lexus.html
It never got rebuilt till this day, well yesterday.







While that was all happening, I spent time drawing and test fitting various dog bones made out of wood: /upgraded-brake-production-resumes-money.html
Then finally I bit the bullet and passed all the work I had done to my machinist:
/lexus-ucf30-monoblock-to-ralliart-colt.html



















Took a few hours to create the finish with a flapper disc.






New Orings












New dust boots, no circlip/locking wire for these.
They just sit in the lips/groove






















I wanted to work out weights, there will be no significant gain in weights. As the calliper is lighter than stock.

EVO 5/7/8 GiroDisc 32mm thick.

















Project Mu Type HC - F110 brake pads and new PS-F110 shims.
Pad measure in at ~115mm wide and ~60mm tall.
PMu quotes it at 118.5mm wide.



















Further information - Extracted from http://mercedes-190.co.uk/topic/6698335/1/ by Ake RT:
The UCF30 caliper + pad is 10.5 LBS. It is lighter than C32 AMG Caliper but still heavier than the Aluminum Brembo for EVO II

If we look at the piston size, The UCF30 Piston is 4-pot 42.8mm all around which bigger than listed in the document link in overall (SL600/C32 is 40/44mm)


No comments:

Post a Comment